Does Windows 10 have a good backup program?
If you are in the habit of backing up, you may know that Windows has a built-in backup software – Backup and Restore (Windows 7), with it, you can do the following two things:
- Backup data files are saved in libraries, on the desktop, and in default Windows folders. And it allows you to include a system image before backing up. Besides, it is able to run backup tasks automatically, you can set daily, weekly, or monthly at specific days and times, and the default settings are every Sunday at 7:00 PM.
- Create a system image. It’s another feature in Backup and Restore (Windows 7), which include a copy of the drives and system files required for Windows to run. So you can use it to restore your computer to an earlier date. And it also allows for the addition of other drives.
Besides, both of them allow you to back up Windows 10 to an internal or external disk, one or more DVDs, and on a network location.
In sum, it’s a good backup software if you just want to create a system image for the computer you are currently using. And it will ask you to create a system repair disc after the backup task completes, which help you to boot the computer when you have difficulties booting it.
Limitations of built-in backup software
Although Backup and Restore (Windows 7) has some ability to help you protect computer safety, it still has some limitations in a specific situations:
- The system image backup does not support schedule backup.
- You cannot back up the system to a USB drive with this software.
- You need to prepare a backup drive larger than the source drive, otherwise, the backup task fails.
- You cannot restore Windows image to smaller drive, even if the used space of the source drive is less than target drive.
- You are not allowed to restore the system images created on the MBR disk to the GPT disk.
- You are not allowed to restore system to a new computer.
If you happen to encounter some of them, you may want an alternative to Backup and Restore (Windows 7), preferably the best free backup software.
Which backup tool is best?
As for the best backup software, AOMEI Backupper Standard can be one of a great choice, which fully supports features in Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and more. You can check the following options to learn more about this software.
- It supports file backup, system backup, partition backup and disk backup, so you choose to backup specific partition or entire disk without adding non-system partition in the system backup task.
- It has the ability to run backup task daily, weekly, or monthly at a specific day, time or intervals. And by default, it will enable incremental backup to backup only changed files instead of full copy.
- It is still capable of compressing the backup image to smaller ones, splitting backup images automatically, etc.
- It allows you to back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive, USB drive, network drive, NAS, cloud drive, or even a new computer.
Besides, it is still a free cloning software for Windows 10, so you can use it to clone a hard drive to another one, whether it’s larger or smaller, since this software only clones the used sectors on a disk.
What does the best free backup software can do?
After getting a basis of AOMEI Backupper, let’s have a closer look at it. In first of place, you may want to know more about it backup feature.
From above, you can see its Backup page, here are 5 features you can use, choose one of them based on what you want to backup, system, files, disk, partition or create a recovery partition for system backup and restore. Here take system backup as an example to show you the details.
It will select all the drives required for system restore including system reserved partitions, so you don’t need to worry about boot failure due to missing any boot files or OS. Here you just need to select a destination path to store the backup images.
Besides, you still can set Options, Schedule Backup, and Backup Scheme to make it automatic and easy to manage.
Options: You comment on this task, set normal or high compression, split backup image, etc.
Schedule Backup: You can run the backup tasks on a regular basis, it depends on how often you may modify your files, such as, daily, weekly, or monthly.
Backup Scheme(supported by advanced edition): You can change incremental backup to differential backup, and set cleanup methods to delete old backup images automatically.
And then, you can restore the system to a new hard drive or computer if there is something bad happens. For multiple computers, try network image software.
AOMEI Backupper Standard is one of the best free backup software for Windows 10, and you can easily back up the system, disk, partition, or files and make it automatically. Besides, it’s still free cloning software for Windows 10 if you want to replace the hard drive quickly.