Construction jobs are amongst the top that leads to fatal injuries. Workers deal with heavy equipment day in day out. Using such machinery increases the risk that a worker may be involved in an accident, leading to legs, limb impairments, or other deadly injuries. While construction workers have a right to work in a danger-free zone, such workers still get exposed to unnecessary injuries and deaths. In this article know about Need To Hire A Workers Compensation lawyer After A Construction Accident.
Whether you work in a molding project or are involved in a large commercial company and have suffered injuries, a lawyer can help you understand the options available to you when filing a claim.
Construction Accidents And Workers Compensation
Unlike some of the accidents, rarely will you find construction accidents being straightforward. This is where you deal with contractors and subcontractors who can deter your rights of recovery in the event of an accident. More this, rules governing the construction industry also limit workers to what they can receive from injuries suffered at such sites. If you have been hurt, the issue about liability will mostly depend on indemnity or issues demanding whether your employer followed OSHA standards. It’s not easy to figure who may be responsible, especially where you work under several sub contactors. The best part is that you have the right to hire an Ak compensation lawyer who can advise you on the legal consequences related to your accident. For any successful workers’ compensation claim, you are required to prove that.
- You suffered injuries
- The injury occurred with the course of employment.
Studies show that the rate of construction injuries is high compared to any other workplace injury. As well, the consequences are severe on the victims’ family members. One common problem is that there is no attention to safety issues, and most of the tasks are performed manually, leading to occupation exposure hazards hike. Whether you were hit by moving machinery, you fell off from a height or were struck by heavy construction equipment, you don’t have to allow yourself and your family suffered consequences, you need legal help.
Why You Need A Compensation Lawyer
There are many reasons why you should hire a workers’ compensation lawyer. Filing a construction injury claim without a lawyer is a disadvantage to you. Though filing a claim under workers’ compensation does require one to prove negligence, there are still hurdles that push victims to get legal representation. Some of the reasons include:
- Construction companies retain defense lawyers who handle construction injury claims against them.
- You will be required to come up with some tough thresholds before you get your benefits ready.
- Various entities may be liable for your construction accident injuries. Such as the construction company which is liable for violating OSHA standards
- You get an equal footing by having an experienced construction lawyer
- A lawyer can draft your settlement agreement to incorporate both workers’ compensation benefits and social security disability benefits. It’s more likely that if you are to receive both benefits, you are likely to have some lowered.
- Workplace retaliation. Your boss may have a good opportunity to retaliate against you for filing your works compensation claim. Also, you may find other negative employment actions being taken against you, such as demotion, reduced pay, etc.
- Getting lesser benefits than what you deserve
- You may be forced to waive your right to file a personal injury lawsuit. Meaning, your chance to get any pain and suffering is done away with. Thus, you can only have someone to fight and ensure you get the right benefits, and if your lawyer deems it fit to file a personal injury lawsuit, he/she will guide you.
Any compensation to obtain may depend on the type and nature of injuries suffered. The compensation could even be more depending on the part of the body that was injured and whether the injuries amounted to temporary or permanent disability. Benefits for permanent disability require a much more complicated process. As such, you can appreciate the benefits of having a lawyer guide you in the process. Also, it could depend on the amount of wages you were earning before you got injured. In some states, workers’ compensation insurance laws also matter on the amount of compensation a victim can receive.
Getting The Best Construction Attorney
Not every attorney can handle your construction accident injuries. Also, due to the high stake associated with construction accident claims, a victim cannot afford to file for workers comp benefits without an experienced construction lawyer’s help. There are tons of reasons why you should get a referral from friends or family members who have worked with such attorneys. Again, it’s much better to get such an attorney from a firm representing large companies or even individual workers. Such a lawyer can be conversant with every issue that may touch the legal process of construction companies. An experienced construction attorney will help you with the right benefits and negotiate for a reasonable settlement to file both workers’ compensation and personal injury lawsuits.